Saturday 25 May 2013

Toffee Vodka and Eurovision Hen Weekend

It's been a little quiet in the Normal Kitchen lately as I've been so busy with other things there's just been no time for baking. I realise this is tantamount to impossibility as surely baking is very important and if there isn't time for it then you simply make time for it!  But baking should always be pleasurable and if you're shoe horning it in after a long day at work then I think it needs to act as a stress reliever and not feel like you're doing it for the sake of it.  So aside from the day job what have I been up to over the last couple of weeks?

Well last weekend I went on a good friend's hen do and had the most awesome time.  It was all very relaxed as we were lucky enough to be staying in a beautiful barn in the West Sussex countryside, complete with hot tub, hammock and more alcohol than a branch of Majestic Wine.  We did the most hilarious life drawing classes (something I've wanted to try for a while) and had our very own Eurovision party which basically involved yelling at the telly a lot and waving flags around whilst finding any old reason to make other people have a drink.  OVERSIZED NOVELTY!!!!!!  Everyone drink.

It was my own hen do in January and my friend who was the hen this weekend had brought along a bottle of homemade toffee vodka, a gift which I think you'll agree is a bit of a double edged sword.  It tasted wonderful but my goodness it was strong!  My days of throwing back shots like they're water are a bit behind me so when it came to the quiz that had been prepared I pleaded for only small measures.  Initially the girls were unrelenting but once they realised that my now husband had flagrantly lied in his answers they did take pity on me and make the measures smaller.

All of this meant that it was time to exact some revenge this weekend so the remainder of the bottle of toffee vodka merrily made it's way to West Sussex where it was greeted with great enthusiasm.  By Sunday morning it was all gone and the bottle sat forlornly on the side waiting for me to take home as a souvenir of my own hen.  Plans are afoot for a fresh bottle to be made and brought to the wedding.  Sadly I can't offer to do this as the making requires a dishwasher, something which simply wouldn't fit in the Normal Kitchen.

If you'd like to make your own toffee vodka goodness take a one litre bottle of unflavoured vodka and two large bags of Werther's Originals.  Remove a bit of vodka from the bottle to make room for the toffees (chef's perks whoo hoo).  Add the toffees to the bottle, not forgetting to take the wrappers off first of course, that would be rather gross.  (You might have to smash them to fit them through the bottle top.)  Put the lid on the bottle and put it through a hot wash in your dishwasher.  The heat melts the toffees and then it's basically ready to drink (once it's cooled down.  Hot toffee vodka?  Well perhaps I suppose.)

Like all vodka this tastes best very cold so keep it in your fridge or freezer and spring on unsuspecting guests whenever you feel like it.  It will separate over time but just give it a good shake before pouring and you're good to go.

Note that all hangovers are your own responsibility, but feel free to share them with us all in the comments section ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please enter your comment and then submit. We love to hear from you