Tuesday 21 April 2015

The 'Birthday' Top - Liberty Version of New Look 6891




Time for some more sewing shenanigans today.  I've just finished another (massive!) project that I'm dying to share with you but I don't have any photos yet so you'll have to make do with another one from the archives.  Right after I finished my first New Look 6891 I knew that I wanted to make another.  I was so pleased with how much more polished it looked than my skirt but knew that there was still much to improve on and I felt that using the same pattern again would help me focus on my finish rather than getting to grips with a new pattern.


This lawn does like to have a good crease

I also dreamt of making something in a more luxurious fabric and had been eying up pretty much all of the Liberty range.  I tend to be a fairly cautious person so the idea of using such an expensive fabric on a garment I hadn’t made before wouldn’t sit naturally with me.  Now I felt I could give it a whirl with my floaty New Look top.  So on my birthday last year, sulking a little bit because I was away with work, I took myself off to Liberty after work and spent a happy hour choosing between all the gorgeous fabrics.



Having finally settled on the stunning Kaylie Sunshine tana lawn I headed home with my precious 2m beautifully wrapped and nestling in the signature purple Liberty bag.  (You can buy Liberty fabric elsewhere for less money but sometimes you just want that full experience of such an incredible shop and to touch all those beautiful rolls of fabric.  Plus it was my BIRTHDAY!  And no one to share it with, sob.  HA!)

I do like the way this fabric gathers

I made a few changes to my previous version, omitting the tie at the neck but keeping the front as a single piece without the keyhole.  The self binding just goes all the way around.  I figured this fabric was plenty girly enough for me without adding a bow as well.  I’m not into twee styles and this would have been crossing a line for me!  I used the same sleeves (the pattern has several options) despite my dislike of them in the first version; none of the others were very appealing and I hoped that with this lighter fabric they would drape better.


The armhole gathers are much better than my last version

Well they did gather a little better but they still don’t drape the way I’d like and I have to admit that the more I have worn this top the more I have grown to find them really offensive.  They stick out like some sort of superhero shoulder pads and seem to have a ridiculous amount of bulk when worn under a cardigan.  I have to fold the damn things inside the sleeve!  I also find the length a bit weird and out of balance with the poof.  I have lived with them up until now because I really haven’t had enough experience to know how to alter them but as I’m learning more I have my beady eye on the stupid puffy things and one day they are getting REPLACED.  I love this top and I want to really enjoy wearing it, the only sticking point is the sleeves.  I’ve got loads of fabric left over so I plan to rip these ones off and put on something not gathered, not puffy and way more classy.

POOF!!

Otherwise this wasn’t a complicated make and I did the same French side seams as before and also managed to finish the back and shoulder seams with some seam binding.  We’re moving forwards people!  Admittedly I didn’t do a great job of it, especially at the end of the seams but whatever, it’s better than ignoring the need to finish seams altogether :D

I could have done a better job with the seam binding French seams at the side and a simple turned hem

For the armholes I zig zagged the edges as I wasn’t clear on the best way to manage all that gathered fabric.  I can give this a better go when I replace the sleeves though.



I wore this top quite a bit in the warmer weather last summer.  It’s incredibly cool and light and I find it quite easy to pair with other things in my wardrobe.  I have no plans to use this pattern again in the near future though as, much as I like my completed makes, I feel like there are better things out there for me to try and turn into a TNT.  I haven’t mastered the balance between getting enough room in the bust and bringing things back in at the waist, the neckline is a smidge lower than I would like and omg those sleeves.  (Did I mention I hate the sleeves?)






Overall though very happy and ready for my next challenge :)

1 comment:

  1. This is so pretty! I adore liberty prints, and this one is definitely one of my favourites, perfect for a summer top.

    ReplyDelete

Please enter your comment and then submit. We love to hear from you